Friday, February 18, 2011

The Best Way to Learn a Language

Bean and I are following the immersion method of learning. I'm not going to spend time reviewing grammar books or any other conventional method. We are simply going to immerse ourselves in the Spanish language.

As a sidenote, I will be using SRS (or space repetition software) so that I can retain phrases, but other than that I am trying to keep things as natural as possible.

So what does that mean?

In general, I don't like TV, but if it's on it's going to be in Spanish. Books I read need to be in Spanish. When I teach songs, colors, etc to Bean- it will be in Spanish. I'm going to find a church that's conducted in Spanish. Websites I visit...you guessed it, it's time to start incorporating Spanish sites into my day. And so on and so fourth.

We also have to get out and meet native speakers, etc- which shouldn't be too hard because there are many of them in this area. Grammar drills, vocab lessons, traditional classes- been there, done that, wrote a postcard- and I don't think that's the best way to learn a language. It works for some people and that's great- but I learned English without sitting in a classroom being quizzed so I feel confident that my baby can learn Spanish the same way.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like a good plan to me! When I speak to my boys, it's only in Spanish - no translating back and forth. They understand me because I use it in context... and maybe some crazy charades here and there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how interesting. I'm still conflicted on if I will someone hinder Bean's learning by translating. I'm trying to only speak in Spanish but I wonder if it would be detrimental if I didn't and instead of azul, azul, azul- I said azul, blue, azul.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I guess it's what you're most comfortable doing, but I've heard over and over that immersion is the best way to go. Here's something from the Whistlefritz website that resonates with me: http://www.whistlefritz.com/faqs.html Also, Ana Lomba (taught preschool Spanish as well as elementary and college) has a similar opinion regarding the immersion method. By the way one of my sons' favorite books/cd was Play and Learn Spanish (written by her and Marcela Summerville). Can't recommend it enough. Okay, enough from me... suerte!

    ReplyDelete