Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Oops, I Forgot

This past weekend Bean, Mr. Bean, and I went to visit our families. We live about 500 miles away so it was quite a drive. Bean is not good with long car rides. This meant we had to stop more than I wanted to.

When we got there, I immediately started speaking to him in English. I didn't even realize it at first. Then something popped in my head and said "HOLA!" and then I switched back to Spanish. But really, the whole weekend I spoke to him mostly in English with a bit of Spanish sprinkled in.

Why? Was it because everyone else was speaking English so I just started speaking it? Was it because I wasn't watching my Spanish movies and listening to my audio courses? Was it because I didn't want anyone to feel left out? I have no idea. Usually when we go in public I don't care if anyone feels "left out" because I am talking to my Bean- not them. So I don't know what happened.

My mother jokingly made a comment that Bean was going to get older and not understand English so I guess that I was speaking some Spanish. But still, I feel that I slacked off, so excuse me while I go find my iPod so I can get back to my Platiquemos.

1 comment:

  1. Uuuuuuugh!! This is my biggest problem!! I've been at this for over a year now, and I still haven't figured it out. I have a hard time in public, too - although I'm better there. But around my parents it's really hard. Even though they're completely supportive of my efforts. I even have a hard time in front of my Dutch husband and in-laws, despite the fact that they all understand German. I don't get it. So far, all I can do is keep trying....

    ReplyDelete